Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Response to Narie

This is in response to your comments about my 'Islamic London' post.

I sometimes think that we were incredibly lucky in the people who founded this country. We idealize them as brave and forthright, and they were that, but they were also people with the sort of problems, bouts of short-sightedness, and pet peeves that we have now -- yet somehow they came up with this compact that has survived two centuries. The mortar is getting chipped away every day by George Bush and his crew of merry men, and has been whenever powerful politicians have found the Constitution too restrictive, yet the structure still stands. Thats pretty impressive. I don't have great insights into where that strength comes from but I suspect that it's a mixture of the personal values of the people who drafted it and those problems that they had to address in the document. They wanted it to reflect their ideals and principles; they had to have it reflect their political problems. I think that they created a political document that incorporated religious values without incorporating the religion itself. Not to say that those values only exist in religion, but they do exist there. The idea of fairness, of justice, of equality are part of all religions. Christianity has it. Islam has it. I suspect all do.

So, unfortunately, is the track record of violence, of 'kill them all, let (insert supreme deity name here) sort them out'. I used to think that Christianity was more tolerant and refined (though I wouldn't have chosen those words) than the others , but after seeing Falwell and his crew, I realized that Christian fanatics can be as bad in their own way as the Taliban. I say 'in their own way' because they haven't taken over a political entity and started putting a theocratic structure in place, but if they did, would anyone be all that surprised? So when I see people slamming Islam, I think 'its not just them'. I admit, sometimes that's hard for me to believe at a visceral level, because, after all, what can I think about a religion when the fanatics of that religion have brought so much hate and death to the world? But I think that I've got that backward. I think that these fanatics would be fanatics if they were Muslim, Catholic, or Zen Buddhist -- they've just gravitated to a structure, and gone wild with it. (As an analogy: the people who stole my yard sign in the last election were fanatics for the other side's political party. That doesn't mean that political parties are wrong, or that that side's party is inherently fanatical. It simply means that they're got fanatics. So does my side. Neither is defensible. )

I think that if you took any religion, and lopped off the outlying standard deviations so as to eliminate the fanatics, you’d find the core values quite similar. And I think that you can subscribe to those core values without being religious at all. Religion provides a framework, but its not the only valid structure.

Is there something about Islam that makes fanaticism more likely with Islam than with other religions? Put a different way, why are the fanatics who blow things up all from that religion? Well, I don't think its Islam, per se. I haven't done a lot of reading, but the impression I get is that Islam does NOT condone or encourage the actions that are being done in its name. My guess is that the parts of the world where Islam holds sway (and its a LOT of the world) have had a lot of problems in the last hundred years, if not more, and those problems are whats driving this activity. Part of that is that they're so damn poor in so many places. They see the wealthy parts of the world, things they didn't see before mass communications became so easy, and they think 'Why not us?' They're ripe for believing that someone is keeping them down. Part of that is that the Arab culture was magnificent for so long. It still is impressive, but it's ceased being the dominant force, and they want it back. And those two concepts overlap – see, for example, the article in Discover recently wherein an Arab scholar, defending science in an Islamic country, says that its of course the fault of the west that his country is not dominant. But whereas most (I hope) are trying to regain that dominance through what we'd consider normal effort, others are trying to get up by bringing others down. I can't build a World Trade Towers? Fine, I can destroy yours. And those are the people who are getting the attention. Its not the religion, its the people. Its been a long time since Christianity has done that kind of thing, laying waste to what we dislike, so by comparison we look peaceful. Yet Falwell and others like him have shown that given the opportunity, they can be just as restrictive, just as coercive -- and potentially, just as destructive. Its been decades since Barry Goldwater said "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"; at the time (1964), that level of intensity certainly sounded right to a lot of people for what they believed in. I suspect that to many, today, it does for what they believe in now.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I don’t trust fanatics, but I understand why, to many people, they don’t sound like ‘fanatics’, they sound like ‘true believers’ – and that sounds pretty good to them.

Incidentally, relative to your followup comment: I don't know any Muslims -- I have been in contact with just one (the woman who writes the Muslim Apple blog) routinely, and with one or two others on rare occasions. All but one of them struck me as normal people trying to live a decent life. (One came across as intentionally provocative and challenging, which, I was told, is a common trait as a way of seeing if your opponent will stick to what they're saying. Scared the hell out of me. ) I don't think they're out to get me, or enslave me -- yet there's always that lingering 'well, sure, but they probably know someone who does'. Do I really think that? In the light of day, no. At night, when I'm tired, or feeling scared -- well, maybe. And I would bet that if I were Muslim, in this country, I'd feel much the same way about Christians. At night, when they're tired, or scared, they must wonder if some morning they're going to wake up and find that the Christian Militia is out rounding them up. Thats not the kind of society decent people want -- but the fanatics? I would bet on it.

I hope this rambling screed made some kind of sense. I should mention that I'll violently assault the physical and logical integrity of anyone who thinks it didn't.

Yes, that's a joke.

8 comments:

Narie said...

I think isolation and education play a huge part in all of this. the fanatics, the terrorists, recruit from small, isolated , uneducated towns for a reason.

When you look at most American Muslims, they are very educated and pretty peaceful. I am short on time but here is an interesting link I found on the first large scale poll of American Muslims. I think you'll find it quite interesting and it certainly jibes with the few Muslims I am friends with. The charts when they compare American Muslims feelings to those in Europe are very interesting.

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=329

Narie said...

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=329

This one should work, the other seemed to cut it off.

Narie said...

Heh, that one cut it off too. Add the number 329 after the equal sign. Dumb blogger.com

Cerulean Bill said...

Have you tried TinyURl.com for those long URLs?

STAG said...

(point 1)
Poverty does not excuse fanatasism. Nor, in my humble opinion, does it breed fanatisism. Osama Bin Laden (to name one well known fanatic) is an Arab, from a very wealthy Arabian family. One would almost say that only when you get lots and lots of comparatively wealthy kids will you get extreme political views. The Irish potato famine did not create a lot of rebels, the opposite, in that they came to America and became very establishment policemen, but the wealthy Irish elite formed the "Fenians". I could find other examples.

(point 2)
Arabia has a lot of oil wealth, and is distressed that people in the west confuse "Muslims" with "Arabs", or worse, "Arab Terrorists". Arabs are allies with the US. (As is Syria, Egypt,Turkey, and believe it or not, Lybia.) Most Muslims in the world are NOT Arab, nor are they even remotely associated with anything that is Arab other than the fact that the holy sites are in Arabia. No more than I consider myself Italian just because my Catholic church is based in Rome.

(point 3)
It is helpful to any government to have a large segment of population which is poor and un-educated....good for military recruitment, not so good for most anything else. But if you want a strong military, keep your population downtrodden. The US is recruiting immigrants for the military who are tough enough to get through the desert.... again, just as an example. No fools they! They get the downtrodden without even doing it to their own people! Much.



(point 4)

Not all the bombing and terrorism is because of Islamic Fundamentalists. The Northern Ireland crisis is only just now blowing itself out after, what, 120 years!, and the current struggle in the Gaza strip is all about political power. Hamas has Shiite AND Sunni members, as does the opposing political party, Fata. I can imagine some clever cleric somehow turning this into a religious thing, but don't kid yourself, its not about religion.

Point 5
Have you considered that the reason why the US supports Israel is because the Christian Fundamentalists (who control the US government) need a Jerusalem run by Jews to allow the second coming, and there can be no "rapture" without a Jewish Jerusalem?

Well, there you go, 4 points of commentary based on your post.

As for point 5, I hope I am wrong. About the fundies controlling the government that is, I know the rest of it is right.

Regards,
Bill

Cerulean Bill said...

a)I agree that poverty doesn't excuse fanaticism, and I don't think it breeds it -- but it does provide a fertile host environment.

b) True enough.

c) I don't agree with that. Not even for the Republicans.

d) True -- but I'm just talking about the Islamic terrorists, not the various other brands of fanaticism, including the home grown ones. It would probably be better to say 'terrorists', period.

STAG said...

Re: point 3.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/26/news/military.php

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/06/16/immigration_bill_offers_a_military_path_to_us_dream/

http://www.alipac.us/article2208.html

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0608/24/i_ins.01.html
(contains this quote with regards to officers as opposed to ordinary dog faces...)
"MANN: The military is losing its appeal to the best students in the United States. Half a century ago, hundreds of Princeton graduates, for example, went on to serve in the military. These days, it's only a handful. Harvard, Yale, Brown and other elite universities don't allow officer training courses to be offered on their campuses, and many refuse to allow military recruiters. West Point has only grown in importance to the American officer corps."

And of course, for the psychology of it all, you can't beat this link!
http://www.stormingmedia.us/keywords/attitudes(psychology).html This one has a great chapter on the "moslem problem". I heartily recommend it, esp. this link...http://www.stormingmedia.us/96/9621/A962154.html

As far as the idea of the Republican goverment intentionally grinding down a segment of the population in order to have a recruiting ground...well, we have this report from the Pentagon.

http://www.stormingmedia.us/95/9569/A956914.html "Social and Cultural Dynamics of American Military Organization
Date: JAN 2004"


I couldn't make this stuff up Bill!

ttfn.

STAG said...

And yeah...the very word terrorist tells the whole story. Me...I booked a flight to Washington the day after the twin towers fell because...well, to show I wasn't scared of them.

(and a good time was had in the nearly empty museums! But that darn pesky anthrax keeps coming back on me...)