Thursday, April 09, 2009

Understanding

I was driving down to pick up some pizza, listening to NPR, when the Annual Story About The Jews And The Muslims came on - the one they always do, right around Easter. I heard the expected comments -- We Muslims we love everybody, we want our land back, we just want peace, to hell with the Jews......We Jews we love everybody, we've been here since 1949, we're not leaving, we just want peace, to hell with the Muslims. Okay, that wasn't what they were saying, but it sounded like it. I kept flicking it off, then turning it back on, hoping it would be over, but it just went on, and on, and on. Finally, I just left the radio off.

I really get tired of hearing that story. I suppose I just don't have enough depth to truly understand.

5 comments:

Eileen said...

I think you got it...but us liberals keep thinking the story will change and we listen every year!

Wendster said...

No one understands this story.

Once they LOVE EACH OTHER the violence will end.

Being right .... it's a killer.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm fairly liberal, but I don't think the story will change until something else changes. I don't know what. I don't venerate Barack (though, relative to what I see on some conservative blogs, I do everything but light a candle to him at night), but I think that it's going to take someone of his scope of vision to make it happen. Conservative, liberal, I don't really care. Comprehensive vision, sense of whats possible, ability to join and motivate -- that's what I want to see. And since we're talking multiple countries at once, it'll take multiple people who are willing and able to make that change, to accept it, facilitate it. There has to be a common, supranational belief that this has got to be resolved. Some kind of unifying force or event. So much has been invested in My Side Is The Right Side, it's hard to imagine what that might be. Alien attack comes to mind.

I know that it's NOT liberal of me, and likely exposes my lack of understanding, but I'm just exasperated. I wish we weren't involved. I know why we are (kind of) and why we continue to be (kind of). I just wish we weren't. Let somebody ELSE worry about it for a while.

You're both right, incidentally. Thanks for commenting. I was more than a little apprehensive about writing this entry.

Herr. verärgert said...

All there really is to understand is that these people have hated each other forever and part of the reason for that hate is due to the fact that there holy land is in the exact same place.

Cerulean Bill said...

Certainly true. If they were three year old boys, tussling over a toy, the answer would be obvious to any mother. Hmmm..... give that whole place to the Swiss? That might work....