Wednesday, April 08, 2009

ps

I'm one of those who sighs at the extent of Photoshopping.

To me, artistry is in the camera. I recognize that my preference for that dates me; the modern photographer considers PS just another tool in the creation of an image that he saw long before the shutter snapped. But when the image becomes, not just a cleaner, clearer, more powerful version of itself, but one that literally could not have occurred in reality -- then I think the use of PS has gone too far.

I know I'm in the minority on this.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I am afraid that I have lots of fun with the cropping and highlighting when the flash didn't work or the zoom was not quite what I wanted. I am not a professional so PS helps me somewhat. Most of my stuff is point and shoot except for getting rid of digital camera noise.

Cerulean Bill said...

In doing that, you're not creating an image that could not have existed without Photoshop, and you're not taking an image and "improving" it. It's the images that no longer reflect reality that I dislike.