Monday, April 27, 2009

Making Sense

I amaze myself sometimes with how easily I think about adding to this house.

The house is a standard bilevel, with a garage along one side. The garage abuts the old garage, which we now call the storage room, as well as part of one wall of the den. Above those two rooms are our bedroom and my daughter's bedroom. Behind the garage is an area of cleared grass that's now tanbark (as well as more than a few weeds). For quite some time, we've had a Plan of a three stage renovation -- putting a large room above the garage, accessible from our bedroom, then shifting our bedroom into the new room and using the old bedroom as storage (which is to say, walk in closets, including a new closet for my daughter's bedroom, as well as a small sitting area), and then putting an elevator in, coming from the storage room into the sitting area. The nice part of the plan is that we could stop at any stage, and not have to continue. Oh, and with the new closet for my daughter's room, we could close up the existing one and rotate it to face into the next bedroom, which we call the library -- it's where the PC, file cabinet, and such are. They could use more storage, and, hey -- it just makes sense.

Well.

Now we're (which is to say: me) thinking that it'd be nice to have a riding mower, but where to put it? Well, gosh, wouldn't it be nice to take that tanbark'd area and turn it into a utility extension of the garage, to hold the mower and some of the bulky things that are in the storage room now? Why, yes, it would. And gee, if we're thinking about having the roof off of the garage to put the new room on, and putting the extension would require some kind of roof that would have to mate with the garage roof, wouldn't it just make sense to do them both at once?

God help me, I even thought we could use some of the extra space to put in a small deck, next to the new bedroom.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A one family stimulus package! :-)

Personally, I'm fed up of renovation. On the other hand, I am doing all of it myself. (The Mrs helps where, and when, she can.)

Carolyn Ann

STAG said...

Use tweenbots.

Cerulean Bill said...

Tweenbots....now, there's a thought. They'd not get anything done, but they'd be cheerful about it.

Ah, I doubt we'll do all that I think about -- we DO need that money to eat in our later years, after all.