Thursday, April 30, 2009

Schpectah

....as Bond would say it.

I just don't know about this Specter thing.

On the one hand, I'm delighted that it brings Obama and the Democrats closer to the filibuster-proof majority. On the other, I'd like it better if he did it because he believed in what the Democrats were doing, not because he was headed for a whippin' come the next primary election, and figured the sailing would be smoother, this side of the aisle. Though what that says about his chances, come the general election.... Dunno. Guess that's one of the reasons I'm not a politician.

Whatever the reason, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think you should be allowed to switch while proclaiming that this doesn't mean you can be counted on for support. Though, of course, that unwillingness to Follow The Leader is one of the things that make Democrats different than Republicans, so maybe he's on to something.

Still don't like it, though.

No comments: