Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Cerulean Times

I've mentioned on occasion that I used to work at IBM, and though they (sniffle) rejected me, kicking me out into the street along with two or three thousand others, I still miss being part of it. I was the tiniest, least significant part, but still: I liked it, and I'd go back if I could.

Today, I exchanged emails with a woman with whom I used to work, and I asked her what she was doing these days. Her job was pretty much the same as mine, then, but heck, it's been almost two years. She said, basically, that she was doing exactly what she was doing when I left; seeing her list, it occurred to me that it was a pretty good summary of the parts of my job that I really didn't like. Working with auditors. Giving people a hard time for not securing their systems. Tracking audit results and efforts to correct things that auditors found. (Even notice that auditors never seem to say 'this far and no further?' There's always more to find.)

In looking through her list, I thought "I'd still like to be back at IBM. But - perhaps - not quite as much as I thought."

2 comments:

Tabor said...

The grass is always greener on the other side until you get close up and see it is crab grass.

Cerulean Bill said...

I had a coworker who was quite proud of his lawn until a neighbor told him it was weeds, whereupon he ripped it out. My feeling is, you like it, it's flowers; you don't like it, it's weeds.