Thursday, April 02, 2009

Spaced

Last night, for a while, I was more of a space cadet than normal. I think it was the drugs.

I normally take long-acting insulin before I go to sleep. That stuff kicks in slowly, and works over a lengthy period. By contrast, I take fast-acting insulin about half an hour before I eat. It works in about an hour. The quantity of long-acting that I take is about six to twelve times higher than the fast-acting.

Last night, I think I took the correct amount, but I took it of fast-acting rather than long-acting. Two hours later, my blood sugar level was headed for my socks. This morning, its value looked like the national debt. Which means I'm in for about five days of having to watch it very, very closely. Because in five days, I have the recurring appointment to get the quarterly blood check.

Oh, joy.

No comments: