Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Call the Police? We ARE the Police!

I think the cops do a decent job, usually. I don't know what goes into being a cop, but I imagine there's a fair amount of boredom and tedium coupled with trivia and, every so often, excitement. If I had to come down as either a police supporter or not, I'd choose support, because I think they perform a service that we need. (Awkward phrasing, I agree -- reminds me of the old joke about the guy who said that he wasn't an athlete, but he was an athletic supporter.)

But every so often -- and it seems like I'm hearing it more often, last couple of years -- I hear about cops doing something that strikes me as wrong. Most frequently, using a Taser on someone for no good reason at all -- and sometimes those people die. Occasionally, being mean and arrogant to drivers, whether they've done anything wrong or not -- and sometimes those people go to jail for no better charge than that they annoyed the cop (though that's not what the charge says). And, sometimes, this, where a guy swept up in the G20 protests -- follower or passer-by, I don't know -- dies as a result of his interaction with the cops. They say it was a heart attack. Video suggests that's not all that happened.

In my limited awareness, sometimes these things happen because the cop's a bad person, period. Think of 'bullies with badges'. Sometimes, they did their best, and things just went wrong. In most cases, it seems that they get overwhelmed -- the peaceful demonstration turns ugly; the quiet drunk lunges for them; the pulled-over driver is aggressive -- and they feel the need to protect themselves, quickly. Sometimes, they get overwhelmed emotionally -- they like order and predictability, and those people are acting against that ethic. The cop wants to do something about it, so reacts more forcefully, more assertively than warranted.

Cops hate -- even the good cops, who I believe are the majority -- when their actions are second guessed by people who never had to stand up to the rampaging hordes, let alone a drunk driver at 2AM on a lonely road. I respect that. People who do frequently resent people who review, particularly far away from the urgent moment. That doesn't mean that such post-action review isn't worthwhile, or that cops who aren't suited for the job shouldn't be found, and, at the least, kicked out. Ever since the Rodney King incident, I find myself thinking 'Who will watch the cops'? (Which is why, incidentally, I think there are more incidents of cops getting down on people with cameras. They say it's 'public safety' and 'threat of terrorism', but I believe that the real reason is that they know their actions at that moment can't withstand the light of day. Quick, grab that camera. And bust its owner, too.)

Only now, I occasionally think 'Who's got the ability to withstand an angry, bullying armed cop?' And the answer -- or, at least, an answer -- occurs pretty quickly to me.

These people, that sort of thinking, will make me an NRA member yet.

No comments: