Monday, April 06, 2009

The Hunt

We'd decided, a while back, that this year we'd replace the television downstairs. Not that it isn't just fine, but.... well, really, there's no good reason. A minor one, perhaps: this is going to be a Milestone Birthday for me, so we thought that a Milestone Birthday Gift might be in order. That's tough for me to take. Not the MB, itself, but the buying. I just don't tend to want to get things for myself. Oh, there are things I'd like to do -- a cooking class comes to mind -- but when it comes to putting pen to checkbook, I usually back out.

The compromise was, we'd get it with the federal tax refund, which was expected to be on the hefty side. Granted, having just recalculated our net worth a few days ago, I'm a little squeamish about spending the money, but, okay. We even thought a little about what we'd get. Probably - probably - a 40 inch LCD unit. Past that, I've no idea. I know a couple of the buzzwords, but I don't know what to look for. And brands? I've seen LG, and Vizio, and Samsung, but the names mean nothing to me.

Well, the refund is here. The birthday's in 4 months. So.....

And what the heck do we do with the perfectly fine other one?

8 comments:

Tabor said...

I'd advise but we bought our big screen LCD two years ago and all bets are off with technology as you know. My suggestion is to get yourself to that little library and check our the issues of Consumer Reports.

Cerulean Bill said...

Yes, I agree. I think there is a market for NonGeekSpeak in this kind of thing....I don't care about HDMI this and quad-channel that. Tell me what I need, less than which it won't work; tell me what I need to add capabilities. But I know that technology doesn't work that way.

Course, I'm not the right person to think about this. I don't hardly watch the tube at all, and I've noticed that even with a better screen, the content still stinks. Which is when the homeboys say Oh, yeah, you have to get TiVo, and you have to get Netflix, and you have to get BluRay, and..... No, actually, I don't.

Unknown said...

We got a Panasonic, and I fitted surround sound into the walls. Watching a movie has become a bit like going to the movies - something we both like doing.

I like to settle back with a movie, dim the lights, have a scotch (or three) and get a hangover... Well, maybe not that bit. :-)

Carolyn Ann

genderist said...

We bought a VIZIO (an American brand, I think) at Sam's last year. We're really happy with it, and found that the prices at Sams beat out Best Buy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics and the other techy stores in OKC.

So far as the other one goes --save it for your daughter when she goes off to college.

Unknown said...

It's gotta be the scotch doing it... :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

No, but the image of the BS tv (odd that they never use that abbreviation) with a couple of slender speakers IS appealing.

We're leaning toward much more pragmatic use of the funds, though -- a new refrigerator, new mattresses, possibly a larger food processor, then -- likely next year, or end of this model year -- the riding mower with snow-thrower attachment. Storage is a big question. We don't want a shed, so we'd likely have a double door put in that lets us get into our storage room directly from outside. Still means moving stuff, though. I am not sure about the model -- it seems that a small riding mower is sufficient for the total area (less than a third of an acre), but we've got some hilly areas -- not many, not much, but they're there -- and I understand that a zero radius turning mower is better for that. And significantly more expensive, too. Argh.

Unknown said...

We have about a third of our acre grassed - and I didn't buy a riding mower.

A decision I've regretted from the moment I turned on our quite expensive pushmower.

Of course, having sand as a soil isn't a great help.

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, then, the answer is obvious - we can split the cost of a riding mower. You can come pick it up on Mondays - just have it back by Wednesday or so.