Sunday, February 22, 2009

Taxing

This evening, we substantially Did Our Taxes. The good news is, when only one of you is working, the paperwork tends to be less. The bad news is, when the economy is tanking, the paperwork.... tends to be less, too.

I've come to the realization that TurboTax's impression of quick and easy and mine tend to be substantially different. And that doesn't even relate to the idea that my idea does not include a) helpful little reminders that any refunds you get could be handled by their associated investment client, click here for details, or b) when I say 'spreadsheet', I think of a screen full of numbers, not seven rows at a time, which they seem to think more than sufficient. And why don't they accept uploads from an actual Excel spreadsheet, anyway? Or at least a cut and paste?

But the net out appears that we'll likely get a substantial return from the feds, and then we just have to figure out whether to bank it (our strong inclination) or buy something that we were thinking of getting (since we're being told that prices are slashed dramatically). Personally, I'm doubting its all that dramatic, but I suppose we can look. We've been thinking of replacing the refrigerator with something more energy-efficient; we just don't know whats important to us -- where the freezer should be, being the major part of that. I don't think I like the idea of one on bottom; the one on top blocks the view of the first shelf, and a side by side doesn't seem to have much room. Is there another option? No hurry, we have time.....

Oh, and it looks like I'll have ten signatures for that petition, so my name will actually be on the ballot (assuming I get it in on time). How about that.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

My refrigerator has a freezer on the bottom and while I think it is not as energy efficient as it states, I do like the stuff on the bottom. My kitchen would not fit a side by side. I just got the largest cubic size made.

Cerulean Bill said...

I remember being astonished at how much stuff we used to cram into our freezer. When we got the upright one, that tended to diminish -- though right after Spring Fundraiser Season, both were full. Yoicks!

As for the configuration, we're thinking that the freezer on bottom has two problems -- the tendency to bury stuff, and having to bend down whenever you take things out of it. I know, problems of the idle rich.