Tuesday, February 24, 2009

24 Hours

I think that title's already taken, but what the heck. It's been an interesting one.

Last night, we found that my daughter's having trouble in her Geometry class. We found this because my wife, while spelunking in her room for something, came across a test paper under her bed with a C grade. My daughter had written on it a comment to the effect that she had almost gotten a B on it, and that she was very frustrated. I'm sure that we're a large part of that frustration. We haven't talked to her about it, and, of course, we're not sure what to say. What else is new?

On the other hand, last night I went out of my way to get something for her from the store because she really wanted it -- Nutella! -- and because she'd had a tough evening, with homework, color guard, and more homework. She was working hard. I took the moment of openness afterward to speak quietly with her about stress, and having people to talk to; she said that she did have people... and sometimes that included us. I told her that I understood that there would be times when she did not want to talk to us because she knew we'd get mad, or we'd try to fix whatever the problem was, but that if she told us in advance, we'd try to restrain ourselves. I think she appreciated that. Maybe not -- she was pretty tired.

Also, last night, I got another signature offered for the petition. I'm now at 11, which is good, as one of them is someone who isn't actually a registered voter yet, though she plans to register this week.

This morning, my daughter said her email was acting funny -- dropped her email boxes, for starters. I looked at it, and found she'd picked up a virus -- Anti-Virus-1 -- which, when I looked into it, had 'fixes' that sounded as dodgy as the virus itself. I did a system restore back about a week, and it seems to be okay. I'm running a full Avast scan now.

Fun, huh?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I want a daddy that will fix my computer!!

Cerulean Bill said...

I was fortunate that the system restore addressed it. That doesn't always work. And to be honest, I don't KNOW that it fixed it -- just that the popup and icon appear to be gone, and that the AVAST scan says it found a virus and removed it.

I wrote my daughter an email showing her what the Anti-Virus-1 install screen looks like, so that she can blow it off if she encounters it again.