Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ovalicious



I found a couple of pictures of the Oval Office -- there are a lot on the web, but not so many from the perspective from behind the desk -- and spent some time last night just looking at them. I was surprised to see how different they looked over time. It appears that the doors to either side of the fireplace were dramatically de-emphasized, so that you can barely see them, and they took out the chandelier. Looks like a window might have been added, too. I didn't realize that the office wasn't originally built into the White House as the President's office -- it was added much later, when the wings were put on -- and that the shape echoes that of the Blue Room, above it. Heck, for years I didn't know that the OO was in one of the wings -- I thought it was in the main body of the building. I think I watched West Wing for almost a season before I began to wonder why the series was called that.

Kind of wonder what it'll look like in fifty years.

No comments: