Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Enlightenment

Years ago, while I was at EDS, the local manager set up teams to carry his message of organizational enlightenment. He didn't put it that way, but that was what it was.

One day, they put out an email to the effect that the use of personal laptops was forbidden. Only laptops issued by the company could be used. I don't recall if there was a reason for this.

Shortly thereafter, I walked into a conference room where three of the Illuminati were working. They were using a laptop. A personal laptop. I congratulated them on giving their laptops to the company, thus making them company-laptops and eligible for use at work. They just stared at me.

In that moment, I was enlightened, though I'm not sure that it was the kind that they wanted.

No comments: