Sunday, June 15, 2008

Smoky

I'm lying in bed, with the Sunday papers around me, the crinkled foil of fine chocolate next to me, and the aroma of smoke in the air.

Actually, it's incense. My daughter went to the local Ten Thousand Villages to buy a Fathers Day gift for me, despite my protesting that a) she really didn't have to, and b) Circuit City not only has plasma televisions on sale, they also have the Alert 5 delivery truck sitting, idling, outside, ready to Make That Delivery.... But TTV is what she likes, and where she went. Truth to tell, the incense isn't all that great -- it isn't particularly aromatic, and from what I gather, not at all hallucinogenic, either -- but I appreciate the thought. It was nice of her.

This morning I got to cook breakfast -- my wife was up till just past 3 on a system upgrade that had serious problems, else she'd likely have done it. We were under some time constraints, because my daughter's friend had slept over, and we had promised her parents that she'd be back home by ten. Real quick breakfast! But there was enough time for excellent coffee -- Ghiradella chocolate orange -- with waffles, fresh strawberries, and bacon (doing it in the oven really does work significantly better than cooking it on top of the range). I think her friend was a little bemused by it all. Her family tends to be more structured for meals, apparently, whereas we were doing our traditional two people sit down one person pops up arrangement. But we got it done, and ten minutes later she was on her way home. I told my wife that I would not remind the girl that the last time I saw her, she was naked in our living room, and she said that that was a very good idea.

I am not sure what we're doing today. I suspect my wife and I will take a nap -- we're both looking like the Walking Wasted -- and that will be pretty much it. Oh, and slough through the papers. For some reason, I got three this morning. Lets see if they all tell the same story.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just bought a gift at TTV this morning, funny coincidence.
Try to enjoy the day even though you don't really care about these kind of holidays :)

Cerulean Bill said...

On the off chance that this is an actual person, and not a construct of a solipist mind - I did, actually, though in an unusual way. After being up so late, I cratered around 1, and slept through the hottest part of the day, and woke up to the sound of my daughter calling me. Pretty neat, actually.

Good luck with the catfish.

Rach said...

Sounds like your day was really quite ideal.
I find doing bacon in the oven doesn't make it quite as crispy or the same as stove top fried. BUT, I do NOT miss the mess.

Cerulean Bill said...

We had done it in the oven a few years ago and were not too pleased with the result -- we had the bacon on a griddle-type rack, and the grease dripped down and away, which was good, but the bacon stuck to the rack. This way, we put it on a lipped baking sheet, set the oven to 400, and bake for 25 minutes. It is covered in grease, so it does not stick, and as soon as we take it out of the pan, we drain it on a plate with a paper towel, leaving the bulk of the grease in the pan to be poured away. Works pretty well, and the resulting bacon is nicely crisp. Might mention that we use relatively thick bacon -- not as thick as 'canadian bacon' but thicker than what you routinely get in US stores.