Sunday, June 29, 2008

Not Wheelable

I just tried getting on my bike for the first time in eight months. Its going to be a while, I think. And even then, not easy.

I had to lower the seat about three inches just to get my leg over it. And this was my non-injured leg. The other one, I'd have to lay the bike down, step over it, and hoist it up underneath me. This one, it comes close, but I can do it. I promised my wife (more like a disguised request for help, actually) that I would not try to ride the bike unless she was around. Guaranteed, if I fall, I'm walking home. She thinks I should get a recumbent bike. I do like the way they look, but I'm not willing to spend the money for one, nor do we have any place to store one of those monsters. So if I'm going to ride, this is going to be what its on.

The good news is, my mobility continues to improve -- slowly, but I can see it. I don't have to 'loosen my hip' when I get out of bed. I don't have to (usually) lean on something to get up after using the john. I can (usually) stand on one leg while getting my pants on (though I tend to do it within falling distance of the bed). So, things are improving. No one would call me limber, though. More like lumber.

As in, timberrrrrr!

No comments: