Friday, June 20, 2008

Cool Friday

Last night, I dreamt that I was part of a medical team that was keeping Nicole Richie alive. Other than recognizing the name, I have no idea who that is. It was a most unusual team, working out of what appeared to be a very, very large hotel suite, using materials that might have come from a medical dispensary in World War II.

At what point did I become vaguely uneasy with the amount of money that the Obama campaign has accumulated? If it were the McCain folks, I'd be aghast, and if they'd decided not to take public funding so as to not limit how much they could acquire, I'd be furious. Obama sent out this message saying that he supports campaign financing reform, but as his opponents are very good at 'gaming the system', he found it necessary to do this so as to not be unduly constrained. It feels to me like the financial equivalent of having to destroy the village in order to save it. This article does a decent job of explaining why, but I still don't like it.

Last nights trip to the funeral home was unsettling. Some people there were amazingly distraught. People came who didn't make it to the EDS reunion a few weeks ago. I do think funeral homes are creepy places -- too little air movement, too stuffed with furniture. At least the music wasn't too lugubrious.

3 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

I'd say your dream was a bit influenced by the funeral home visit last night. I hate it when I have to go. You're right about how unsettling and uncomfortable it is.

Nicole Richie is Lionel Richie's daughter. She used to hang around Paris Hilton and is famous for being anorexic and being in drug rehab before she was even 18.

Unknown said...

Wow, interesting dream. I often wonder if dreams mean much of anything or if it is just our brain trying to mess with us hah.
I don't like funeral homes either, the smell just reminds me of death. Whenever I smell anything remotely similar I always remember the first wake I ever went to and the first time you see a dead body in person it leaves an impression.

Cerulean Bill said...

I have no informed idea, not that that will stop me. I think its partially us just trying to make sense of bits of stray info. I would even hazard a guess that doing so 'resets the bit' (if you're into computers, you get that) so that your brain doesn't have to keep churning to figure out why in the heck Superman was in your dream about cupcakes.

When my good friend died, I wondered about her belief in reincarnation. I still hope it's true. But some of our death rituals -- well, actually, just about all of them -- strike me as more than a little weird. When I die, I don't plan to be there.