Monday, June 30, 2008

Brown and Blond and Ate All Over

My wife asked me to bake something to give to a neighbor to thank them for something they'd done. As it happens, I'd picked up a box of brownie mix this past weekend, thinking I might do something with it, and this fit the bill. No pun intended. As they were cooling, my daughter came out and exclaimed Brownies! Not for you, kiddo, I said, explaining. Rats, she replied. Why don't you make some more? You could make blondies! Well.... okay. The recipe's pretty simple. So I did, reserving half for the shipment next door. She and I demolished the rest. When my wife came home, she took half of the brownies, and the remaining blondies, and brought them over, while I went to tell my daughter that we had unclaimed brownies in the kitchen. What? she exclaimed. I thought I ate them! And sprinted right out to grab a hunk.

Those brownies are not long for this world....


Blondies

Ingredients:
5 tablespoons butter or marg.
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Optional: chocolate chips, nuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the margarine or butter in microwave,
Pour into mixing bowl and stir in brown sugar, vanilla and egg with a wooden spoon, until mixture looks smooth and glossy.
Blend in the flour, baking powder, and salt until all of the ingredients are well combined.
If desired, add chocolate chips, nuts, or other filler.
Spray a 8 or 9" square baking pan.
Pour mixture into pan.
Bake for 25 mins (8") or 20 mins (9").
Cool slightly.
While warm, cut the brownies into squares.
Allow to cool completely before removal from pan.

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Mmmm! I love brownies and blondies too :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Come to the dark side, we have cookies!