Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Scary Thoughts

I've been reading two books lately. One's a Star Trek novel I read some time ago, and the other's a - well, I'd call it science fiction, but I suppose by the current hard-nosed standards its more space-opera than scifi. Certainly it doesn't rely on science fiction tools and environments, though it has its share of hyperspeed-capable ships, intelligent machines, and unspeakably different aliens. The first is Crossroad, by Barbara Hambly; the second is Debatable Space, by Philip Palmer. I mention these not to demonstrate how shallow my reading pool is -- I hear of people who routinely polish off massive books one, two a week, and I am in awe of that -- but because I came across an article whose title resonated with me: Is Google Making Us Stupid?

Google's the stalking horse. What they're really asking is, does the easy availability of information have the effect of damaging our ability to comprehend, to summarize large quantities of information. You can see why I would be tickled by that, because I've said in the past that I feel that sort of thing happening to me. I don't read books that are difficult, anymore. Not that I ever did to any great degree, but I did, a little; now, I don't. If I want to read, the odds are that I'll read something simple, like the science fiction/space operas I mentioned, or I'll read something short, like a New Yorker article, or something linear, like a book that talks in straightforward terms about medical science, or about architecture, or about city planning. Its not that I don't like complex thoughts, but my ability to handle them, to hold them up to the light and, however imperfectly, turn them, look at them from different angles, seems to have diminished over the years. I don't know why that is, but I agree that the easy availability of information makes it likely that I now expect to be able to find out things quickly -- to the point that when the web can't do it, I'm left feeling a bit bereft. This afternoon, I wrote a response to a blog which used the word 'vicarious', but I couldn't recall the word, nor could I easily come up with a way to describe it so that a search engine could find it. All I had was a feeling of what the word ought to be, and Google doesn't operate at that level. At least, not yet. I finally did find it, but I had to almost work at it.

Even when reading the article, I found that I was doing almost exactly what they said a lot of people do now -- skipping ahead, looking for key phrases, glancing at summary sentences. I wasn't reading every word, and I certainly wasn't savoring it. I was looking for information, and I wanted it quick, and preferably in an easily digestible format. My motto was Don't Make Me Think Too Hard-- and, you know? That was a little scary.

2 comments:

ShaneShock said...

I think we process a lot more information in a shorter amount of time nowadays. We have to. Our society force-feeds us data shovels full at a time. We have to assimilate and decide how to use the information we take in as quickly as possible because another bucket of information is already on the way. Compare our times to the Little House on the Prairie days. How much information did they have to process on a typical day? Now compare that to our typical day. Read every word in a book? The brain can't slow down for that anymore.

SS

Cerulean Bill said...

Its certainly true that a lot more gets made available to us, and there is a frantic pace to it. I'm not so sure that we have to accept it all. When we go for a while not knowing about the things that don't affect our daily lives, our lives stay the same, we're just not as freaked. Its like when you have an earache -- the world is the same, but now we focus a lot more narrowly. I think we can do that more often; we just choose not to, because we like knowing all that other stuff. We've traded bandwidth for depth. I don't think its a bad thing, and it might even be that we're encouraging people to be more concise, more focused, in what they write -- you want readers? Say it fast.

My problem is, I think I lose the ability to understand complex items, with that tradeoff. I have to FORCE myself to slow down, to really think about what I'm reading. Its almost a Zen approach to doing something (or at least, my blipunderstanding of what Zen is).