Thursday, June 26, 2008

Plus Ca Change....

Some things don't change; others are predictable.

The decision of the Supreme Court regarding gun ownership was predictable. This is, after all, a Bush-stocked court. As long as Roberts and Alito are on it (though I do like Roberts, he's got that same nasty streak that Alito shows to excess), they'll reject any limits to personal freedom. I suppose I should be pleased that they did recognize that there are some constraints -- criminals and the mentally ill. As far as the NRA is concerned, that's next. Down at headquarters, they're likely celebrating -- breaking out the bubbly, shooting off pistols. Metaphorically -- you can't actually bring guns into the NRA offices. I find that amusing.

In a novel which I recently read -- the one which was notable for being almost plot and content free -- one character proposed a constitutional amendment to limit the term of Supreme Court justices, and to allow for legislative overrides to Supreme Court decisions. I think that the second is impractical, but the first makes sense to me. Courts need to present a moderating influence that reflects the nature of the Constitution whiles both being sensitive to the tenor of their times and resisting the sway of popular opinion. What we're seeing on the bench now is the tenor of the first and early second Bush terms == how it interpreted the Constitution, what it valued. The time of that attitude is waning; so, I believe, should the tenure of members of the court.

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Uh-oh...

Ok, we might really differ on this one. But thats ok, Bill. We can still party :)

Cerulean Bill said...

No, no, I'm adopting the other sides attitude on this one. You don't agree with me, you're worthless and beyond redemption.

Yeah, I'm kidding.

I don't think that rules which keep people from having guns at home have much of an effect on crime. I understand why people want the right to have guns at home, even though I don't agree with it.

But how the NRA leadership can be opposed to licensing of lethal instruments -- things MEANT to kill -- that, I totally cannot understand or forgive.