Friday, June 30, 2006

Pizza Dough, part one

I just did the initial steps of that pizza dough recipe I've been wanting to try. I've made recipes which used ice water before (mostly pies) but this is the first bread -- and I've never had to chill the flour before. But they said the dough should come out to be about 70 degrees, and thats just about exactly what it was, so we're off to a good start.

The plan is to make it tomorrow, but as we're going away for the day, I think we'll shoot for Sunday. It'll make five small pizzas, so there will be room for experimentation with toppings, which I know my daughter will like.

Have to find a recipe for a decent sauce, too -- none of the ones I've found thus far sound great - they're all oregano, basil, tomato sauce. I'm not looking for something amazing but something with a bit of bite would be good. Course, if I wanted to make it a dessert pizza, this would be interesting....

2 comments:

STAG said...

Cornmeal will keep it from sticking to the pan. Use lots, its tasty, cheap, and what you don't need just falls off.

In naples, where they invented the pizza, they start with a thin crust, then paint it with olive oil. Place some slices (not grated, it has to be sliced) mozzarella on it, then a generous sprinkling of cherry tomatoes, cut in half. A final topping of fresh basil finishes off the job.
To serve this pizza, which is named after a princess, Princess Margherita, you must be licenced. Owning a pizza licence means the licencing authority have checked you and your kitchen out, and you use only extra virgin olive oil, flour made from duram wheat, cheese made from the milk of young water buffalo, and as fresh ingredients as possible. No dried herbs, no salt, pepper, tomato sauce or pepperoni.
Of course, being Naples, fish often finds its way onto the pizza. Chopped octopus and herring fillets are good providing you dont realize it is octopus! Sea urchin, mussels, clams of various temperments are also often added....again, never canned, salted or sauced. I was enjoying these "loaded" pizzas for three days before I got around to inquiring what this odd cheese was on top, nestled in with the tomatoes, itsy bitsy brocolli stalks and pearl onions. That is not cheese senor, that is octopus! Really! I would have thought it would be more fishy flavored..instead it was merely neutral!

Well, Neapolitan pizza is the best in the world. Compare to Pizza Pizza. Or Domino's! Domino's pizza merely makes me want to barf from all the trans fats, sugared dough, and oregano laden tomato sauce.

Well, hope that helps.

Cerulean Bill said...

That's very interesting stuff. Thank you . Some I knew, and most I didn't. I did know that American pizza isn't anything like Italian. While I in no way am a purist, I was amazed to read, a while ago, of the Italian view regarding what a pizza ought to look like. I'm not sure I can be that minimalist.