Monday, June 05, 2006

Food Makers

I like to cook on occasion. There are perhaps three things that I'd like to be able to make really well: Christmas Cookies, crusty bread, and steak. I can do all of them, but with varying degrees of effectiveness, and none really well. I'm not being modest.

On occasion, other things sound good, too. From the Roadtip section of the Sunday Washington Post, in an article describing a scene at the Baltimore Farmers Market:

A cook works two burners like a DJ at the turntable, spinning one crepe as he ladles batter for another. A trio nearby whips up omelets stuffed with sausage, garlic, and peppers....

Yum. And I don't even particularly like omelets !

2 comments:

Vica said...

Well, THAT makes me want to go to Baltimore. Why is almost always food that makes me want to travel? Familiar or exotic places just seem more intriguing if they've got a tasty cuisine. And crepes are a particular favorite of mine. Hmmm. I haven't been to Baltimore in ages. Plus, it's baseball season. Road trip!

Cerulean Bill said...

Then I'll tell you that the article goes on to say that the Baltimore Farmers Market is 'a clutch of kiosks under the Jones Fall Expressway at Holliday and Saratoga streets', and that you can hear the big trucks up overhead. In other words, its not genteel.

Sure does sound good, though. Swing by Pennsylvania and drop off some crepes on the way home, okay?