Monday, June 26, 2006

Straying Again

We just came back from a jaunt to the local library, the purpose of which was to drop off books that my mother had gotten and to let the daughter look for a book to write up for her summer book report. I urged some relatively heavy-duty books on her, but we ended up with The Backyard Dragon, about a kid who's normal in every way except that he has a dragon in his back yard. What the heck, she'll read it.
============
On the way back , we wanted to mail some letters. Not a single mailbox did we see anywhere other than those attached to houses and businesses. Whatever happened to those things? Does noticing that mark me as eligible for codgerhood, junior grade? When I was in Australia, seemed like they were everywhere. Of course, I already had a warm feeling for Australia Post in comparison to the US Mail (why, I was there for three months and they never raised their rates); seeing the mailboxes just seemed natural. Not so much here, apparently.
============
Speaking of lacks, I've noticed that I'm getting fewer comments lately. I wonder why that is. Boring, perhaps? Perhaps I should turn off commenting so that it won't be so obvious to me.
============
The rain continues -- we've gotten almost six inches, apparently, which is a phenomenal amount. I don't tend to watch the news, so I've been spared hearing people say that this still doesn't make up for...and so on, but I'm sure it's out there. I did hear one person say that local towns have had so much flooding that its imperiled the integrity of the drinking water. They have to boil it before they use it. Argh.
============
This weekend our neighbor with the pool will be away, and they've asked us to watch their cat. In return, we can use their pool if we want. I bet it rains!

2 comments:

Narie said...

*waves* Don't turn off comments please, I enjoy reading them! I'm still here and read your blog daily actually, I often want to comment but my time has become so severely limited with a 3 year old and a 1 year old that I just don't have time to form any thoughts and actually comment on anything of late.
Oh and the only place I see the mailbox bins anymore is in front of the post office *boggle*

Cerulean Bill said...

A one year old and a three year old? My goodness, you're lucky to have time to breathe, let alone make comments. (I'd say 'make intelligent comments', but given that mine aren't always intelligent, it would seem unfair of me to expect them...even though intelligent comments is what I usually get.)

Comments are a funny thing. I didn't think it mattered to me -- I enjoyed getting them, but I thought I was writing this for me -- but what I found (when one person who had sent a lot of comments disappeared for a while) was that I missed it. That surprised me.

Thanks for the insight. And good luck with the toddlers.