Friday, June 09, 2006

Traveling

I don't much enjoy traveling, and that's mostly due to how abysmal much of the air travel industry services have become. Like cramped elevators, the only good thing is that they get you where you want to go, and do so quickly (usually). I'd willingly pay more for a ticket, but the differential between basic fare, mid-class, and first class is astonishingly great. I assume that the idea is that the first class people are subsidizing the others, and the mid-class, same but somewhat less, but whatever the plan, I don't like it. I've even gone so far as to mull over what it would cost to charter an aircraft(at which point I realize even more why nationally known legislators and other ne'er-do-wells prefer that mode of travel to moving with the hoi polloi; way more comfortable and free?). Kind of wonder: when we have starships and intergalactic travel, will people grumble about how crowded peon-class is there, too?

But, that aside, tomorrow we'll be in Tucson. I'm looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Rach said...

Be thankful you're flying. You COULD be stuck in a car for 18 hours trying to entertain to active children. :P
Have a wonderful time, and be sure to fill your new camera with many memories .. and of course please do share. There are some of us that will never make it to far south or east of the border. ;)

Cerulean Bill said...

Absolutely. In all of the pictures, you will be able to recognize me easily -- I'll be the one behind the camera. (g)

As for trips, well, I understand that. I've never done an extended road trip with children, but I understand it makes solitary confinement look quite appealing.

If you ever DO get down this way, you can stay with us. See, I just cut your travel costs!

Tabor said...

Excuse me, but I expect to be beamed everywhere in the future...no more hoi poloi...only individual travel.