Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Surprises

Got a couple of surprises this afternoon. I had gone to my general dentist to talk about having implants put into my upper jaw. The first surprise was when I found that his guess was I'd need four of them, not two as I'd assumed. The second was when his nurse came in and quietly told me that while she knew the dentist would likely recommend a specific surgeon to do the implants, adding that this surgeon was a friend of the dentist, another (whom we'd discussed in the prior visit) was actually better, more technically au courant with the field. When he came in, the dentist mentioned both, said he'd be comfortable with either doing it -- and then spent ten minutes talking about the one that the nurse had said he would recommend, telling me all of his capabilities, works with problem cases (into which category I apparently fall), works with plastic surgeons, even mentioning that his wife is certified in three specialties.

The one that the nurse recommended doesn't take insurance; the other does. We're talking, overall, about the cost of our weeklong trip to London, two years ago. We've been assiduous in saving, conservative in spending, just so we could if we needed to -- but I'd thought the need would start in another ten years or so.

I figure I trust the dentist, and he trusts the guy who takes insurance -- but I really hate being in the position where I have to make the choice.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Tough choice, but at least you're being given a choice and not just referred to whomever the dentist always deals with.
I'm sure you'll figure out who'll be best to do your surgery.

Cerulean Bill said...

I've had the process done before, and it was uneventful -- but never four at a time. Thats a little scary, which makes me lean to the second guy -- I know him, I like him, and my general dentist trusts him, so it sounds good to me. I'll still go to both for an evaluation, just to see what they say -- and if it comes out significantly different, I'm sure I'll be confused all over again!