Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Thinking about the doctor

Thinking about work almost always brings to mind a doctor that I know casually. She's a very bright person whom I met when doing some poking around on the subject of medical office automation. We only met physically once, but over the course of a year or so we had a pretty good correspondence going -- she told me a lot about her family and what she did, and I did the same. Then it gradually petered out -- the result, I think, of her being a very busy person, and me being just a casual acquaintance. I write on occasion now, but not too often, and not expecting much in return.

But I still admire her, for her achievements and for her work ethic. Put together, they've delivered material success to her, in spades, and professional recognition, but I suspect that she'd do it for pennies in a backwoods somewhere, just for the delight of it. I wish everyone could find that kind of satisfaction in what they do. I've never had it, never been captivated by anything that I've done. There have been interesting, even captivating things, but not for long, and certainly not now. It's just a job.

I wonder if the lack of captivation at work is why people have hobbies?

No comments: