Thursday, June 01, 2006

Blog Writing

Last night, I read the comments by my daughter, which I really liked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started to write this entry this morning, while lying in bed. My daughter came in, laid down beside me, read the first five words (which were all that had been written) and added the remainder of the sentence. I told her that I liked it and would keep it, so there it is.

But what I was actually writing was that I had read the comments of a couple of guys on their web site regarding how you 'drive readers to your site'. They recommended stirring up controversity, offering how-to tips, giving advice on things you knew about. I have to admit, I thought about it, because I would like to get more readers, but I eventually decided against it. Part of the reason is sloth -- what could I possibly know people would want to know? What advice am I qualified to give that someone looking for it wouldn't be able to generate themselves? -- but part of it is because I don't want to drive readers here. It would be nice if there were ten or fifteen people who regularly commented, but the truth is that I write this for myself, as a way of getting my thoughts out of my head and out someplace that I can look at them. Every so often, somebody responds, and almost invariably I am delighted by that -- even when its the most casual response, I'm delighted, because its hard for me to make friends (doesn't that sound pathetic? At my age -- imagine!), and when someone responds, for just a moment there is a sense of community, of having a friend for a moment, and I really like that. And I admit, too, that when nobody responds, I wonder why -- is what I think that uninteresting? -- but then I get over it (well, usually). If nobody responds, its still who I am. Quiet. Not particularly dynamic. Somehow 'driving readers here' doesn't square with that. Because the site is me, saying 'this is what I am'. I'm not a 'drive readers here' kind of guy.

Its hard to write this without sounding like I'm saying I don't need anyone. Thats most certainly not the case. I'm a very private person (does that sound odd, from a blog writer?) and don't let myself need very many people. But do I like it when people like me, or what I say, enough to respond? Oh, yeah, I like that a lot. I cherish those exchanges.

2 comments:

Rach said...

I'm glad you choose to keep a blog .. even if it's for your own personal thoughts and views. There are so many types of blogs with various topics, and it's the ones that are non-contraversial, family oriented, hot topics mentioned occasionally .. these types I find interesting.
So whatever it is you're doing .. it seems to be working because you've captured my interests and I do enjoy my daily dose of "Bill's Stuff".

My particular reasons for keeping a blog are quite similar to yours. I don't want a million people reading it, but it's nice when I get a certain group of like minded people that find interest in my topics to leave nice comments or opinions. I smile when I see in my inbox a new comment has been left. But when it really comes down to it .. it's my way of keeping a journal I can't seem to keep in my own hand .. and it's a way of unclogging a brain that seems to never stop long enough to sort things out on it's own.

Cerulean Bill said...

I agree with the idea that your reasons are similar to mine -- in fact, reading them, I thought '*I* could have written that!' Pretty neat, isn't it?