Saturday, June 17, 2006

...But it's a DRY heat

...as our hosts in Tucson said, the very first day that we were with them. How hot? It was usually about 75 degrees in the early morning, peaking to about 105 in the early afternoon. It wasn't intolerable, but it was enough to make me seek cooler locations whenever possible.

I was a bit surprised to find how often I wanted to jot something down in this blog. Two things of especial note: if you are ever in the Tucson area, by all means have a pizza from Magpie's -- they say it stands for MAGnificent PIE, and it really is; I don't like California-style pizza, but these guys put out an excellent product. And if you're there or in any city with a Schlotzky's sandwich shop, by all means, go and have an original on sourdough. Ahhh.....

But even with that being there and nowhere near here, it's good to be back.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Welcome back!

Now you must define a california style pizza. I've always heard NY has THE best pizza .. but here, we just settle for what we can get, which is probably not near as scrumptious, but it works.

Cerulean Bill said...

A California-style pizza is where everthing that characterizes a pizza is up for grabs -- the dough content, thickness, and shape, as well as the toppings. The pizza that I liked was quite simple -- sausage and pepperoni on plain dough with cheese and a somewhat spicy tomato sauce -- but it can be literally anything. If you go to http://www.magpiespizza.com/ and read some of the reviews, they mention some of the unusual mixtures. I believe they have a menu there, too.

First time I ever thought I'd want to work in a pizza shop!