Monday, August 03, 2009

Working/Lurking

Well, I'm not working, or earning money, but I will be, soon. Working, anyway.

I've been interested in electronic medical records for quite some time, so when I heard that the medical practice I use was switching to them (actually, the massive healthcare organization which owns them is doing it), I would ask them questions from time to time. Last time I was in, the woman I see said that her nurse would come in early just to spend time creating 'starter' records for the people with appointments that day. I offered to come in and do it, just to see what the records looked like, but they weren't sure that would work. I dropped a line to the organization itself, and they said that they'd be interested -- who doesn't want free help? Today, I went to a brief orientation, and got a TB test; if all works out, I'll start in about two weeks. It'll be scut work, I know, but I'm hoping it'll be interesting, nonetheless. And who knows -- perhaps it'll mutate into something else. The people from the volunteer organization were quite emphatic about using volunteers through out the organization -- though they seemed doubtful that I'd be able to scrub in for surgery!

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Probably means you won't be blogging so much. You will not want to sit at a computer when you get home. This fall I need to start looking for some volunteer project...starting to get a little bored.

Cerulean Bill said...

Probably not so much, yes. And given the strict warnings about dissemination of any private information we might encounter, and the broad definition of what 'private' means, likely not to include much about the experience.

I said, repeatedly, that I did NOT want to volunteer at the hospital, as they seemed to be predominantly people pushing wheelchairs and delivering flowers. Finding out that there is more to it than that is encouraging.