Saturday, August 01, 2009

Foggy Saturday

I heard a story of the trucker who returned to the terminal once and told the others that he'd had the best day; people gave him a wide berth, never crowded him. Laughing, his friend showed him that a NEW DRIVER placard had been hung on the back of his rig. He said for those results, he'd keep it! Now, some folks are suggesting the same idea for teen drivers. I like it.

One of our running jokes for a while has been that for my birthday, I want a big screen television - and I'll usually toss in 'with Bose surround sound' as a low-cost add-on. The HD TVs we've looked at cost about $1500, to which we're by no means reconciled. Last night, we stopped by Best Buy to poke around, and I saw some Bose surround sound units. One looked fairly decent, and I thought it was a good price - $199.99. Gee, I thought, we could get this for our existing television as a nice upgrade. Until I noticed the extra 9 before the decimal point! My wife said I should get it anyway, but I thought that there is no way on earth I'd do that. That's pretty much the story of my life with things like that -- just about the time that I get used to the idea of the price of something, I find out that it's gone up significantly.

Today we're going down to pick up my daughter's cousin, who will be staying with us for about five days. It's something we've wanted to do for a while, both because my daughter gets along well with her and to remind her that having another kid around isn't always the bed of roses that her imagination tells her it is. I told her that it made me feel a little odd, because it reminded me of when me and my cousin Katharine used to visit our grandparents for a week at a time, to which my daughter said that she hoped this meant she was my cousin, and not me!

No comments: