Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tractors

This morning, as I was mowing, I was thinking about lawn tractors (again!) Basically, we have two requirements and one NTH. The requirements are that it would have to handle a snow-blower/snow-thrower, and it would have to be able to handle minor hills. The Nice To Have would be the ability to mulch.

Every time we think about this (okay: every time I think about it), I think wide cutting swath - wider the better. But, where to store it? I thought about trying to fit it in between the two vehicles in the garage, and then I thought about the first time I scratched one of the cars with it. Ah, no. We could put it in what we call our storage room, which is the old garage; we walk through it to get to the actual garage. The problem would be a) getting it in and out -- we'd have to move one of the cars to do it; a bother but not that big a deal), and b) getting past it -- I don't find a lot of information about the width of these things, but I'm guessing that they're fairly wide, to get that big cutting swath, which would be a sizable chunk of the width of the storage room. Then it occurred to me: our lot isn’t that big – we don’t need something with a wide swath. Some mowers are (relatively) narrow – on the order of 36 inches or so. We might be able to make something like that work in the space we have, and still get the mowing job done fairly easily.

So I went to the Cub Cadet web site, picking one at random, just to see. I wanted to know: what's the smallest width lawn tractor you have, and does it have the capabilities I want? I'd think that a reasonable question. They don't. Not only doesn't the site allow you to ask that question, it makes it hard just to display the information it does have. Its as if the site was designed for people who already know that the Series xxxx tractor is this width, with this capability, and so forth. Well, sure, doesn't everyone know that?

I'll keep looking.

No comments: