Saturday, August 08, 2009

RT, Redux

Another road trip to my mother in law's home, though this one was relatively straightforward -- left here at 920 this morning, got back home around 830. Not too bad. I once again found proof that whenever anyone writes a history of great roadside food, they'll be skipping most of US 81 in Pennsylvania. I'm sure there's some out there, somewhere, but none found on my journeys.

We installed the router on her PC, so now anyone coming with a wireless-equipped laptop can connect up. I didn't put in encryption, since I couldn't recall if the client had to have it, too -- I think so, not sure -- but I did install MAC address filtering, along with instructions for how to add another PC, should one show up. Since spoofing a MAC address requires knowing a working MAC address, which she would not routinely have in use, I figured the risk is small.

And we got to visit with my wife's niece and nephew -- the nephew there with his wife of three plus years, the niece alone and newly divorced; still hard to believe how short her marriage was, especially given that they'd lived together for a couple of years. She seemed a little glum; I guess getting divorced can do that to you. She was compensating, possibly, by wearing a sundress with a very loose top. Startling.

Usual way-too-much food, including birthday cake, and two birthday pies. My stomach is distended, and I hardly partook -- well, except for the strawberry pie. That was pretty good.

No comments: