Sunday, August 16, 2009

Conversations

We had a lengthy conversation with our daughter about school work.

She started out being fairly hostile, but over time mellowed somewhat. We kept our voices calm and level, and she responded to that. It was work, but she's worth it. Speaking of work, part of what we're going to do is review her progress on a weekly basis in each major subject -- what she's doing, what tests are coming up, what projects she has. Part of that will be review of the actual material, and that means that I'll get to spend some time learning it well enough to talk with her about it. Should be interesting. Towards the end, we offered some carefully muted suggestions as to what she could do to resolve a problem she is having at color guard. I told her that one of the secrets of success is making it possible for others to succeed -- if you can help them get what they want, they're more receptive to helping you get what you want. I suggested that she talk with the color guard supervisor in a way that made the supervisor aware that by helping her, she'd be helping herself. She seemed mildly intrigued by the idea.

I was delighted when after I said that motivational people always say that teachers love helping you, supervisors love helping you -- but before I could finish -- she said No they don't! -- and I said 'but the truth is, they don't -- they have their own lives. They'll help when asked, but they won't go out of their way to solve your problems.' I thought it was so cool that she'd already discerned that. I'm sure that won't stop the smiling faces at the high school's guidance office from peddling that same line next years, though.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Hey, Bill, you are a very good and smart dad...she is luckier than she knows.

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh my goodness.... thank you!