Friday, August 07, 2009

Changes, Generally Good

For a while -- feels like a long while, but probably not that long -- I had a problem where the blood sugar measurements I'd do were always high. Not terribly high, but certainly way higher than they ought to be, even by my relaxed standards. I had no idea why. Now, for about the last two - three weeks, I've been getting readings that are lower than normal; even when I reduce the amount of insulin that I take, they're still lower than normal. Again, no idea why. Obviously, the second delights me as much as the first puzzled me. As I said to my wife this morning, this must be God saying 'hey, sorry for messing with you before, here, have some slack'.

A moment ago, my daughter came dancing out into the living room -- literally, dancing -- holding a black belt and squealing in delight. I knew that this was a big deal, but I had no idea why. Turns out it was the belt to a skirt she wanted to wear, and couldn't find for days, so she's delighted. I told her my little story, and said that perhaps this was God saying 'hey, sorry you had some stress with your cousin's visit, so here, have your belt back'. She thought there might be something to that. She then told me all of the prep work she'd done for this luncheon she's going to -- its with the girl, and her mother, that she'd wanted to visit with this past Wednesday; she's really pleased, and really excited. I did the Caring Dad Thing, listening with apparent understanding as she talked about the four or five things she'd done with her hair (it was the classic guy reaction; I looked and thought 'oh, her hair looks nice....different, somehow', without having a clue how much effort it had taken), not to mention the effort she'd put into makeup -- this from a girl who flat doesn't like to wear makeup, period. She wants to shine at this luncheon, and I was very pleased for her, and just a little pleased that she said, in passing, that she'd certainly never want to put this much effort into every-day attire and looks, and didn't understand how other girls could do that; good, she's not morphing into a mirror queen. But she is growing up, becoming more assured, more polished. Pang.

In a bit, I'm going out for a haircut, putting up some drugs for my mother at the local pharmacy, picking up some Ace Bandages for my wife (her foot is better, but still in a bad way). This afternoon, I get to take my daughter and two other girls to a Harry Potter showing at a local IMAX theater (they're dressing up for it, capes and all). And I got the lawn mower to run enough so that I could do the front and back yards -- there's nothing my mower likes less than long, wet grass, so that was mucho fun. Still don't know what we're going to do about that. I think if we could just get a riding mower, I would --- but where would we store the damn thing? Problems of the Idle Rich, a little bit.

But the rest of the day will be quiet and serene. At least, I think it will. This is goodness.

No comments: