Sunday, August 02, 2009

Noodling

I'm sitting here at the dining room table, alone. The Sunday papers - both of them! - are strewn around me (I wanted to say 'skewn', which so far as I know isn't a word, but sounds as if it could be), and I'm poking through them while also leafing through web sites from Feed Demon. Its a little bit incoherent, but it works for me. We had a guest for lunch -- my daughter's cousin is staying with us for the week. She was telling us about how breakfast was pretty much the same as at her house, but also how it was also pretty different, since her family is a lot bigger than ours -- six kids, all adopted, ranging from about two years old to fifteen. Table time for them is always noisy and clattering, and she said it's a pretty common event that someone will drop something loud onto the floor. The two youngest just sit there, the youngest because she's so small, and the second youngest because she's just joined the family -- she's about eight, and very shy. We met her at the mall yesterday when we picked up our guest. I spent a fair amount of time teasing her, which finally got her to smile and even laugh once or twice, though, at the end, when I asked her if she liked being teased, she said no, so I promised I wouldn't do it any more. Well, until the next time.

I put a couple of posts on Twitter about politics, this morning. I don't have very many people who will respond to me there (about a hundred followers, but only one or two who actually answer, which is about what I have here). I just wanted to put some thoughts out, along the lines of 'Obama may not be right in what he's reaching for, but the direction he's reaching is right, and I wish to hell that the Republicans would come up with actual ideas and not political crap'. Which I realize is like wishing that rocks weren't so hard -- but still, I do. I think that not all Republicans are idiots. Some, like Claire McCaskill, who posts to Twitter regularly, are thoughtful and trying hard. Its the leadership that's stocked with bloviators and blowhards. Course, my side of the aisle has those, too. Politicians.

Speaking of politicians, I heard that Obama likes to go to Camp David regularly. I know, tough job, and its better to go there for a weekend than flogging it down to Texas for extended stays, but still....bothers me, a little. I think it's envy, to be honest. Though, come to think of it, why wasn't the great Beerfest held there?

Tomorrow, I go to an orientation at the hospital for volunteers, and then in about two weeks, I start, doing some work with their transition to electronic medical records. Its just scutwork, keying in starter records at their local outpost, but I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I have actually been to Camp David...given a tour by a marine relative...and while it is nice and peaceful, it really IS pretty rustic. The positive thing for Presidents and their families is the illusion of privacy and normalcy.

Cerulean Bill said...

Wow -- that's pretty great. I'd love something like that. From the writeups in the Post, it's like a small resort.... with excellent staff.