Saturday, August 15, 2009

Twit

I still occasionally engage people on Twitter about political topics. Not too often, and not too successfully. But I do. I have this need to make them understand that not all liberals are idiots. That's of course assuming I'm not an idiot!

I mentioned to my daughter that a doc had suggested I try riding a girl's bike, since I have so much difficulty rotating my hip to hike a leg over the seat, but, trying it with hers, I found I couldn't even do that. Oh, I have an answer for that, she said, and taking her bike she laid it completely down on its side. I was able to step (gingerly) into it, and then just pick it up. Not as elegant as I'd like, but it works.

Blood sugars in the mornings have been amazingly low. I even dropped the long-acting insulin, one night, by about 10%, and it was still way low the next morning. The key seems to be getting the night time number pretty low, too. Its a balancing act. Too low at night and I'll bottom out some time during the early morning hours, which is not a good thing.

Today, we made these. Not bad. They'd have been better had I remembered to put the Dijon and cheese on!

Bierochs

Pastry Dough
5 cups flour 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 eggs 1/2 cup sugar
11/2 cups milk 8 tablespoons melted butter


Filling
1 lb ground beef 1 medium onion, chopped
2cups cabbage, chopped 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces cheddar cheese 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Place 5 cups of flour, sugar, and 1 package dry active yeast in a bowl.
Heat milk till lukewarm
Add the milk, melted butter and eggs.
Stir until stiff.
Knead the dough, put in lightly greased bowl, let rise 1 hour.
Meanwhile chop cabbage, onion. Set aside.
Punch down dough, knead again, punch down. Set aside.

Brown chopped onion, ground beef, and cabbage on medium heat until cooked through.
Take off heat.
Add salt and pepper, dijon mustard, and cheddar cheese.
Stir until cheese melts.

Divide dough into 12 pieces.

Roll pieces into balls, flatten each piece into a circle and fill with 1/4 cup of the filling.

Close each bieroch by pulling the corners together and then place seam down on baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bread is golden brown

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You need a Vespa. :-)

Okay, perhaps you don't.

Hey! I've had an idea! You could attach the lanwmower to the back, and you'd have a riding mowe... :-D

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

I suppose I could putt-putt back and forth, using my polo swing with a scythe....