Saturday, August 22, 2009

Changing Software

It is possible that there are people who can change software in a way that is either transparent to the user, of minor note, or actually regarded as an improvement. I'm willing to posit that it has happened, and possibly even to me. Not lately, though.

The latest evidence of this is the Feed Demon product, which is owned by NewsGator, and which has apparently sold its corporate soul to Google. As of the end of the month, the FD product will no longer synchonize with NewsGator; instead, it will do so with Google Reader. I really don't care about that too much, as I rarely went to the NewsGator site, using it only as a backup for the OPML file that powered FD. But along with this change, they've improved Feed Demon, most notably by making it much slower, and by adding a non-removable ad on the main page. Imagine my delight. Oh, and this upgrade? You can't back it off. Sort of their way of giving you the finger, I think.

People speak glowingly of Google Reader. I suppose I'm going to have to get used to using it. Initial impressions are not favorable.

Conclusion: Upgrading Feed Demon was a bad idea. Synchronizing it with Google Reader was worse.

No comments: