Sunday, August 09, 2009

Various Things

The wind abruptly whipped up, a few moments ago, with whirling leaves and bending tree limbs, the whole bit -- and then just as abruptly died down. God saying 'hey, just messing with you."

My daughter's on the downward slide now -- two weeks of band camp, nine to twelve hours, five days a week (except the last day), then one week off, then school starts -- and a week later, they get a three day holiday. She just loves being reminded of this.

Multiple interesting articles in today's Post. One is about a company called the Five O'clock Club, which assists companies in doing terminations. They're doing very well. It doesn't sound like a fun job. I made the minor mistake of mentioning it to my wife, who's still paranoid about keeping her job. Who isn't, these days? Skill and dedication count for very little, these days. Haven't for years.
A different article talks about a man and woman's wedding. They look quite happy, as people do -- but what's unusual (to me, anyway), is that the man is white and the woman's black. It doesn't happen that way too often. I have a hunch that the reverse -- black man, white woman -- happens more frequently than I think, and both happen because our society still tends to show white people as successful and professional, or successful and blue collar, while it shows black people as occasionally the former, more frequently the latter, and almost as frequently as criminals. In other words, white is desirable, black, not so much. That isn't right. I don't know how they can do better in showing black reality (not all black kids like hip-hop, for example, or are joking jivesters, but tell that to the network programmers), but clearly it's needed. They could start by reading this.
Another article talks about how, now that the recovery is starting, it might be too late to join into the tech recovery -- which reminds me of one I read the other day about banks already pushing complex financial instruments again. I am not often one for 'bring out the torches and the hot pitch', but for those guys, I think it warranted.

Which reminds me of the joke I heard the other day: these days, what's the difference between a sparrow and an investment banker? Only the sparrow can make a deposit on a Lamborghini.

Mayor Bloomberg of New York City, about the NRA: The problem is that the NRA isn't willing to look at reasonable things. Yes!

No comments: