Monday, December 10, 2007

Thinking About Santa

I'm not sure why I play Santa. I know why I enjoy it, but not the motivation behind it. I'm thinking about that because I'd like to expand doing it, but I'm not sure what I mean by that.

It could be that I mean simply doing the same thing at more venues -- at hospitals, nursing homes, private residences. It could mean doing it at the same number of venues, but somehow bringing more depth to it -- knowing more about what the kids are thinking about, or being a physically better Santa (for one, getting a better beard, one that looks more plausible, would be nice), or somehow reaching the kids who don't get the chance to see Santa because they're unable to get out. I don't think I mean by that going to downtrodden areas, but I'm not sure. I like the idea of doing that, but I'm not sure if I have the moral fortitude to do it.

Part of it is that I'm not sure what I mean by 'being a better Santa'. (Thoughts on what makes a 'good' Santa would be appreciated, if you'd care to share them.)

I'm not sure what I'd want to get out of it -- whats my motivation; am I looking for adulation, to earn money, to improve the quality of life for some kids, certain kids, all kids. This isn't a life or death thing, but in a weird way, its important. The Santa experience is a transient one, but I really like being able to make it worthwhile for kids, and if I can expand it, and know why I'm doing it, I'd like to.

I think.

4 comments:

SusieJ said...

Bill, have you read the book, The Autobiography of Santa Claus, by Jeff Guinn? Some clues might be in there -- Santa has apparently seen a lot of war and strife in his time. It's not all milk and cookies and elves.

Also, on Wednesday, I'm posting 13 scientific facts that prove Santa does exists. People like you keep this magic alive. Susiej

Cerulean Bill said...

No, I haven't, but I'll look for it. I don't think it'll answer my questions, but it sounds like a good read. Thank you.

Naomi from IttyBiz said...

My Dad was Santa for the Father Christmas Grotto when I was a kid and he was disturbingly realistic. I don't even think Santa looks as much like Santa as my Dad did.

I think it's awesome that men who could legitimately pass as a.) men and b.) over 22 are still doing this.

Cerulean Bill said...

Men who could legitimately pass as men? Hmm...I'll have to check. Got the over 22 part covered, though.