Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Prius in Winter

Based on what I just saw, we won't be driving the Prius any time there's a threat of snow.

We have a light snow falling now -- about half an inch, if that. I just went up and down two small hills. Getting to the hills, I skidded twice, going about three feet further into an intersection than planned. On the hills, I was down to eight miles an hour, and still skidding. The anti-skid light kept coming on, and each time it did, I could hear antilock come on, and the engine would wind down. I was seriously worried that if I had to stop, I'd get stuck there, unable to get traction. And then I did have to stop. I rolled very very slowly, got some traction, and still skidded.

A search for PRIUS TRACTION SNOW yielded this, which does not contain comforting news.

Maybe its the factory tires, which I've heard aren't the greatest, but right this minute, if there's snow, the Prius doesn't go.

7 comments:

STAG said...

Snow tires are the answer. I know, it seems like an extravagance when you can get all weather tires. But seriously, all weather tires are just not good enough, especially when you already have a car which is proven to be a bxxxxxx in the weather. If your state allows studs, then get them! This is no place to scrimp.
Skip the Santa Suit, get the studded snow tires!

Cerulean Bill said...

If we had worse weather, I'd think about it. Doing searches for the Prius and snow, though, I consistantly get the message that all weather tires will do the job. I agree, though, if you have anything more than casual snow - say, three or four inches - snow tires are the way to go -- I lived in a deep snow state for four years, and got quite fond of those studded tires. Pennsylania doesn't allow them, though.

We'll likely look at the Michelin Hydroedge, which gets mentioned repeatedly.

Vica said...

Living in New England, I've heard some very similar muttering about the Prius. They don't seem to be as common on the roads here in December as they are in June.

lesli said...

How do the Prius tires with chains handle snow?

Cerulean Bill said...

No idea about the chains, Lesli -- Pennsylvania doesn't allow them. But we've had the all-weather Michelins on for a light snow, and of course general driving, for about a month now, and we're pleased. Handles fine in the snow (granted, light snow). We lost about 3 MPG doing so, which was a little irritating, but what can you do.

ChristopherCarroll said...

Pennsylvania does permit studded snow tires (November 1 through April 1). In fact, I had 4 Hankook 409 IPikes with studs installed on my Prius today.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/Districts/district12.nsf/FAQ?OpenForm&AutoFramed

Cerulean Bill said...

Huh. I did not know that. The Michelins we put on do work pretty well... most of the time...though. Still the occasional tendency to skitter and drop power on slippery areas. If there were one thing to make me look for an alternative to the Prius, that power drop would be it.