Sunday, December 09, 2007

Afterwards

I have had an interesting afternoon.

In the middle of the afternoon, I remade part of the recipe for those striped cookies, because I was not at all happy with how the first ones turned out. I learned that a quarter inch is about as thin as I could get them, but that was too thin for me to be able to manipulate them -- they broke apart quickly. Something on the order of three eighths of an inch gave me enough bulk, but then it was too thick to stack the way the recipe showed. I also learned that the chocolate makes it more flexible, to my surprise, and sweeter -- just eating a cookie made dough was quite bland. So, I feel better. I haven't made the cookies the way they showed, but I am closer, and I like that.

And then my wife and I took a walk in the drizzle, which was nice, but for the fact that it might be why I was briefly sick this afternoon. Not at all sure. I'd made dinner -- something we like and my daughter grudgingly tolerates -- but by the time we were ready to eat, I had no energy, and felt out of it. I thought it was a low blood sugar thing -- I'd checked, and it was okay, though low -- but the net was that I couldn't bring myself to eat. So I staggered into the bedroom, flipped on the electrical blanket, and laid down -- then popped up again and sat on the edge of the bed, waiting to see if I was going to be sick. It was touch and go, but I wasn't -- and I did fall asleep, though only for about half an hour. After which, I went out and ate Rice Krispies and toast for dinner. For some reason, I was really hungry.

We're in a bit of an automotive bind at the moment. Our van is in the shop while they try to figure out why the check engine light comes on recurringly -- but doesn't stay on more than a day. And on Tuesday, we're supposed to drop the Prius off to get the all-season tires put on -- which, given that its raining now, and the temperature is dropping, sounds like a real good idea to us. One of us, probably me, may end up doing a fair amount of shuttling back and forth over the next two days, and maybe even hanging around Toyota while they put the tires on. We also need to find out if a friend, who just bought a Prius, would like those tires -- I'm a little irritated at just getting rid of six month old tires. Well, six months to us, but certainly not much more than that. But I don't want to go the route of putting an ad in the paper, waiting around for someone to call, all of that.

Am I the only person to think 'Well, duh!" at a headline in yesterdays paper noting that every year there are fewer former military people who were at Pearl Harbor?

And now I think I'll read a little.

2 comments:

Vica said...

Oh, shug. Maybe some of this is related to the moody dark for this time of year? I wonder if anybody's system bounces back well when the days are so short. I look at the window at 430pm and think that I should be snuggled under the blankets instead of sitting at my desk.

Course, then I look at the in-basket on my desk, and I feel a bit sick too!

Take care of yourself. It's an easy time of the year to over-do and run down a bit just when you want to get do much done.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm just amazed. I'm RETIRED, for fleakin' sake. I should have TONS of spare time. Why can't I get this stuff done?

And the answer appears to be that my capability for sloth knows few bounds.