Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Money

When I was in college, one of my economics instructors, who was Chinese, told us of a girl he'd known who for years wore drab clothes. One day, she showed up in a bright new outfit, and he asked her what had happened. For years, she said, she'd put money into the bank each paycheck, just as she'd been told to do when she started working. That week, she learned that she could take it out, too.

What an idiot that girl was, we thought.

This week, my wife learned that our credit cards, which we've had for about fifteen years, have an 'earnings' feature, which is a percentage of what we've charged. We can get this sum, in cash, or apply it to a purchase from General Motors.

In two weeks, we're getting a check for $550.

Guess that girl wasn't as dumb as I thought, hey?

2 comments:

STAG said...

On MY credit card, I get credit at the grocery store. I just gave a thou to the local foodbank.
Got a "charitable donation" receipt too. Yeah baby!

Cerulean Bill said...

Really excellent. Wish more people did that.