Thursday, December 20, 2007

Heat

I would venture a guess that one of the three basic descriptions of 'benefits of life indoors' would be the ability to apply or remove heat from food without having to be near a heat or cold source. (The other two, to my mind, are indoor plumbing and internet/cable access. And we can skip the first of those if absolutely needed.)

My mother had been given a George Foreman grill back when they first came out. She didn't like it, so it was regifted to us. We liked it a lot, but we didn't like that the grill plates couldn't be cleaned separately. When the larger GFG came out, we noted that the grill plates were removable. This is goodness, we said, and got one. Then, about a year later, we got a waffle iron. Again, it was a kind of regifting -- my mother in law had bought a new one, we got her old one, and when it finally died, we replaced it with a bigger one. Another instance of applied heat. At the time, the similarity in function between the waffle iron and the grill didn't occur to me.

Two days ago, my wife got some pizzelles from a friend at work (partially 'christmas cheer', partially payback for all the cookies I've sent in). They're not my favorite, but they're not bad. I got to wondering what it takes to make them, and I found this picture. It was immediately apparent that the device to make pizzelles is remarkably similar to a waffle iron, not to mention, the GFG. I got to wondering: is there an adapter you can get for a waffle iron to make pizzelles? Even better: a general purpose 'flat heat source' with interchangeable griddle/ grill/ panini/ waffle/ pizzelle plates, and a dialable heat level? Now that would be nifty...

But for right now, the pizzelle adapter would be just the ticket, I think.

No comments: