Thursday, December 06, 2007

Biting

Got some decent news today from the oral surgeon.

Basically, he said the one-month results from the bone graft look quite good, to the point where (despite what he said earlier about not using it for other than cosmetic wear) he's now willing to let me wear the dental plate routinely, and to do some light chewing with it. He said he's 'no longer concerned' about the state of the surgical area. Funny, he didn't mention being concerned, before! And, he said that if things continue as they have, we should be able to do the dental implants in early February, which is about a month sooner than the worst-case I'd expected.

I'm going to continue as I have, for the most part, but this is good to know.

Now, knowing dentists, this means February and March to do the implants (he's doing them in two waves), which means March, maybe April to get the appliance that will snap into the implants. Still several months to go. But, overall, this is good news, and I'm pleased.

4 comments:

STAG said...

When I had mine done, I was a slow healer, or perhaps better to say, I was slow to incorporate the foreign bone into becoming one with my native jawbone. They put it off a month or two with no ill results.

Cerulean Bill said...

I don't think he was so much concerned about the bone knitting as a small spot -- he called it a 'dehiscence'; found here -- that hadn't completely healed. In the last week, it did.

I'm still going to treat it gently, though. As I put it to my wife, if I bite into something, I don't want the crunching sound to come from my upper jaw.

STAG said...

I DID however, in the process of getting the implant, discover the source of my migraines...apparently my upper teeth are rooted in my sinuses. (you can see them when they endoscope my nasal passages!!! ewwww!!!)

Of course, ever since the cadaver bone has become embedded so close to the dream centre of my brain, I have had some most amazing and remarkable dreams! Oh well, as my old ma used to say between shots of rye whisky...."listen to the voices in your heart, not the voices in your head"

Cerulean Bill said...

When I first met this dentist, I asked what kind of problems could occur from an extraction, and he told me that he could inadvertantly open a hole into the sinus. When I commented that this sounded scary, he smiled and said Oh no, thats the kind of surgery I like to do.

Well, he's getting the chance now.