Sunday, December 30, 2007

Fun Equipment

My wife once told me that when she was a girl, she heard a joke about a girl at a picnic noticing that every so often one of the guys would walk off behind a bush, and then come back. Curious, she followed, and, observing what they were doing, remarked 'What a clever thing to bring on a picnic!'

One of the toys they gave me at the hospital was a small jug to use as an in-bed urinal, so that I wouldn't have to make the difficult trek to the john for that purpose. (I was entirely on fluids at that point.) When my wife saw the jug, she knew what it was, and said 'Well, I guess it isn't just a clever thing to use on picnics, is it?'

Though you've never known paranoia until you've used one in bed and hoped like hell that the sound didn't wake your wife (who doesn't deserve to be thusly grossed out), not to mention, that she doesn't bump you at an inopportune moment.

4 comments:

genderist said...

That would be a serious mess!

Cerulean Bill said...

The worst of it would be that I would not be able to help clean it up.

Rach said...

Another reason why being a guy would be easier. :P

Cerulean Bill said...

I would bet that most guys think that women have it easier; most women would think that guys have it easier. And I would bet that each side, hearing the aggreived comments of the other, would think them trivial. They might be -- but not to the people involved.

If I had to call it, I'd say guys have it easier, overall. And not just because any bush can be your bathroom, either. There's parked cars, too!

When my daughter was an infant, my mother in law saw me holding her, feeding her a bottle, and was amazed. It had not occurred to her that guy could do that...let alone, delight in the experience. I like my mother in law, but that still surprised me. I have to remember that to her generation, guys and babies didn't mix. Perhaps our generations will work on the other problems, hmm?

As for the plumbing, I recall reading about a device you can buy, sort of a collapsible cup, with a spout...but its pretty undignified. Then again, no one's going to be watching. Or ought to be, at any rate.