Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Mentor

I've now had two teachers tell me that they think my mentee has a reading deficit, and that he gives up easily. When I ask him what he's doing in those subjects, he says he doesn't really know. When I ask the teachers, they say they told him, and that he should know. When I ask him what he proposes to do, he says he'll ask them....though I doubt he will. I know that kids know when an adult wants a specific answer. I also know that sometimes its not as easy for a kid to do something as an adult thinks it'll be. But the bottom line I'm getting is that this kid doesn't really try, and I don't know if I'm supposed to motivate him. Apparently, the assumption is that 'just by showing up, I do that' -- but I have serious doubts about that.

I am confused, and more than a little pissed.

6 comments:

Sweeti said...

Has your Men-tee been tested for learning disabilities? It sounds really close to a problem I had with one child, She went undiagnosed dyslexic for many years and as soon as she got help it was a totally different ball game.
She also would give up easy, but everything was hard for her. She would read, albeit stumble from time to time but, not comprehend, she did good in math as long as there wasn't story problems which was my clue. So I requested extensive testing and sure enough, there it was in black and white. Her intelligence level was high but she was dyslexic.
After learning to read the way she needed to she excelled in school and had drive to do more than she was expected even.
I guess what I'm saying is children really want to learn and find it fun if they understand what they are learning.

Cerulean Bill said...

I still want to refer to him as a Mento, but nobody seems to think thats funny except me. At least I don't think of him as a manatee.

I don't know if he's been tested per se. I do know that he attends a class for kids whose reading skills are subpar.

The vibe I'm getting from the school (not all of it, but enough) is that this kid is -- well, not quite a slacker, but working on it. I don't want to believe that, but I have no reason NOT to.

Mostly, I'm just ticked because I feel like I'm on my own here.

Sweeti said...

Well, you can't make him do anything he doesn't want to, and if its his parents your refering to...Well, then its even harder.

What about his parents, Does he have a good support base at home?

Whatever you do never let him see you frustrated, It will only make matters worse.
Can you request a different child if you find a character conflict between you two?

Cerulean Bill said...

His parents are divorced. He lives with his father, although he sees his mother frequently.

Not sure -- no one's ever mentioned the idea. Then again, except for a lot of feel-good statements, no one's mentioned much of anything.

Sweeti said...

It appears to me the mentor program needs a mentor also.

Cerulean Bill said...

Adult guidance WOULD be nice...