Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Fuelish

Sorry, I couldn't resist that title. I know it's been done before. And before. And before.

I read an article this morning on the In From The Cold web site, which is the site of a person who says that he used to be a spy -- his URL is 'Former Spook' -- on the topic of commercial aircraft fuel usage.

I know that the whole experience of flying's gone seriously downhill over the past five years. And thats not even thinking about the airport terminal experience, and the fast-track that privileged travelers can get on their trip through the golden arches of security. Airplanes are crammed with people, and the service on the airplane's notably deteriorated as a result. I knew that for many, its a 'bring your own lunch' operation, but according to the article, its even extended to elimination of magazines on the flight, and even extra ice -- both of which, regardless of their intrinsic value, have weight, and which therefore cost fuel to carry. That fuel cost has spiraled in line with the ones we see at the pump every week.

Apparently, though, there is a slightly optimistic note to that dirge; some airlines are experimenting with a mix of fuels, including a synthetic one, made in Malaysia, which works as well but costs less. According to the article, there's a long way to go before they can be relied on, and they may always be as chancy to get, and almost as pricy, as whats normally used now -- but its a start.

Interesting article.

2 comments:

Vica said...

It is amazing what the airlines do for those weight-related issues. Of course now, I can't remember which airline it was, but they started the more recent trend towards the shiny-silver plane look. The reason? Paint covering an airplane weighs more than you think. It's cheaper to leave the metal exterior than to paint it.

Nifty article. But a former spook? Yah think?

Cerulean Bill said...

I think it was American. I remember them going to shiny planes, quite some time ago, and I heard that was the reason.

As for the airline, I really do expect them to start charging extra for overweight people. I'll be checking out Greyhound, in that case. Or UHaul.

Well, I'm a trusting guy, and thats what he says...so I guess so.