Monday, December 03, 2007

Housed Out

I used to like the House series, but I grew tired of it. It used to be a good medical detective program, but when it became a game -- well, certainly the symptoms indicate this, but I clearly think its that, unless of course its not, in which case perhaps the symptoms really do indicate, though maybe not -- I thought fine, you guys know more medical words than I do, forget it.

I happened to watch part of one tonight, though, while channel flipping with my wife, and though they did the classic House ending -- yes, its got to be Cushing's Syndrome, even though the classic marker is absent; go do an MRI and find the thing thats making this happen...why look, whats that ...a tumor. It is Cushings! House was right! -- they also had a Bad Guy -- someone whose persona I liked very much, even as it made me cringe.

This guy.

Chi McBride plays the character -- an amoral son of a bitch billionaire who loves messing with people's lives -- very well. I believed him in the role. I hated it.

I even know why I hated it -- because I know that I don't have, never did have, either the fortitude nor the 'we need you' stature in any organization to stand up to someone like that. (Which is what happens in House: the hospital decides they need House more than they need the billionaire's money.) I've always wanted to be someone that was needed that much, but, at least organizationally, I never have been. So I hate the idea that someone could step on me as a whim, and I hate being reminded of it. Even just by a fictional television character. You'd think I'd be gratified that someone does stand up to and defeat him, but thats not enough. Somehow, just the idea that he exists, even fictionally, is enough to unsettle me, to remind me of my vulnerability.

Weird, huh?

2 comments:

Rach said...

I'm finding myself being 'Housed out' too. With him finding a new team this whole season, I end up just not liking Dr House so much. Last season, his old team gave him a run for his money, they questioned him, challenged him, went behind his back and ran different tests, etc. The dynamics of the show was much different. But this season, House is the boss and everyone else are wimps, ass kissers and the like, JUST because they want one of the three (or two now) positions. I probably won't watch the new epi tonight.

Cerulean Bill said...

I didn't know they were changing characters, but I kind of got that impression -- that they were looking to dump this bunch. Wonder if there really are organizations like that around? An advanced diagnostic unit? Then again, would I want them trying out their nascent skills on me? Its definitely Cushings! No, definitely cancer! Hoof and Mouth, thats it for sure!