Monday, December 31, 2007

Chairz

Oh, wow!

We get to buy a toilet riser chair!

Once the need is no longer here -- and from what the nurse practitioner told me today, hips heal really fast (yes, even ones that look like they've been hit with a baseball bat and a mace, multiple times; I'd show you the picture my wife took of my side, but I wouldn't want you to blow your lunch) -- so that in a couple of months, with luck, I won't need it any more. What exactly do you do with one of those things afterwards? Nice planter stand you've got there, ace!

Toilets are badly designed, I think. I recall reading a book years ago called, I think The Bathroom, which advocated toilets that were really low, with little stubby pegs onto which you'd hook your heels. The book solemnly said that this would replicate the normal squatting position, for maximum ease in output. I nodded, thinking Well that certainly makes sense'. Never occurred to me that I'd get old...or fat.

I think bathroom designers are going too far the other way, now. They want no luxurious soaking tubs, grab rails everywhere, and barrierless entries to everything. I know, they're good ideas -- I could not raise my leg over the three inch lip to my shower -- but gee whiz, does the bathroom have to look like it's lit by buzzing fluorescent lights and smells of disinfectant? Surely there must be a better way -- a way to have safety and comfortable style. Got to be.

2 comments:

Sweeti said...

Maybe it's your calling...necessity is after all the mother of invention right?
Hope your feeling better, Not a good way to start the New Year.

Cerulean Bill said...

My wife likes to say that you can take any new 'must have' design style, and within ten years, or more less, it'll be 'that old thing? That sadly-outdated old thing?' I think she's absolutely right. It doesn't help that we're usually wired to approve of change.