Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mo Baking Mo Better

I'll be doing more baking tomorrow. Two different kinds of cookies, again -- this time, 'Black Forest Crinkle Cookies' and 'Almond Joy Macaroons' (though the name of the second one is a bit misleading). Both can be found here, though I'm working from what I assume are the original recipes in a collection of Cuisine magazine recipes.

My approach is simple -- I'm reading through the collection; as I find something that looks good, I make it. If it works out, the recipe gets copied, and I move on. If it doesn't look like fun, or its a pain, I skip it. When I'm done, I'll toss the magazine. The goal is to end up with a dozen or so 'holiday' cookie recipes.

Those jellied 'thumbprint' cookies turned out pretty well -- I was nervous about them, as when they were in the refrigerator, they were like little rocks -- but as soon as they warmed up on the counter, they were fine. (Though my daughter won't touch them -- she thought it unnatural that she could turn a chilled one upside down and the jelly didn't run. I spoke knowingly of viscosity and such, but she wouldn't have them.) And the 'cocoa slices' worked out well, but not outstandingly. For one, the slices were way too thick. I may bake a couple more tomorrow, see how slicing them thinner plays out. I tossed the Black and White cookies recipe. This is supposed to be fun, not work.

I get to bring the GP to the vet tomorrow, and swing by the high school to pick up some fund raiser purchases. And maybe do a little cleaning. Should be a low-stress day.

2 comments:

Vica said...

A low stress day? That sounds like just the thing. I'm waving the green flag, I don't mind telling you. Could you maybe order one of those up for the rest of us?

And please keep up the baking news. I have not had the time lately so I must cook vicariously through my visits here.

Cerulean Bill said...

Wish I could. There's some cookies in the refrigerator you can have, if that would help, and milk, too.