Saturday, December 15, 2007

Cockpit

I found this on the Best Pics Around website. I quite like it.


When I was younger, I took flying lessons for a while. I quit when I realized that even in the wide-open spaces of South Dakota, flying just a tiny Cessna 150, I really was somewhat of a danger to other aircraft. Sure did like doing touch-and-goes, though. And on one of the trips I was fortunate enough to take to Australia, I rode in the cockpit for a while. Qantas would let you do that, then; surely not, now (thanks, terrorists, for sucking that bit of joy from the world). It was quite the experience to sit way the hell at the front of the aircraft, nothing in front or below you but the Pacific Ocean. Turns out 747 cockpits are quite chilly, and noisy, too. I suppose thats a good thing, if it keeps the pilots awake!

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

Yep, its a delightful experience. I hope that the next generation doesn't think wistfully of things we think normal (hey, remember when you could actually go outside and breathe the air?)